Jason's Travel Blog

Thought I would set up a blog so that my family and friends can keep up to date with where I am at and what I am doing with myself these days.. Enjoy!

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Finally in Vancouver!!!

Well I've made it! After my super dramatic epic journey across the globe.. I've finally arrived in Vancouver!..However, where do I begin?!?.. Well I must say I've never had so much drama whilst flying until my trip from Dubai to JFK airport in New York. Mid way through the flight, I start seeing all these air hostesses crowding around me.. I thought for a minute that maybe I just got lucky!, but then realised that they were attending to a guy sitting right behind me who seemed to be passing in and out of consciousness. Then after a few minutes I here them paging over the intercom for any doctors/nurses/paramedics that may be on board the flight. Luckily there was a pudgy bald Indian man who claimed he was a doctor, and was able to attend to the poor chap. I think they must have given him some morphein or something like that to help him out. Luckily we were able to continue on to JFK, and once landing, the local JFK Paramedics rushed on to the plane to check the guy out. It turned out he was alright, but after waiting for about an hour whilst they questioned him, asked where he was from, etc, etc they finally decided to let the rest of us off the plane. Wow! how exciting! So now my next problem was getting my connecting flight to Vancouver from La Guardia airport!.. Fortunately for me this was fairly easy as they had a shuttle bus that got me there for only $13 USD. Some shonky Italian mafia looking guy wanted to take me in a limo for like $65 USD. Seems like they have a lot of the Italian Mafia working at the aiport! as the bus driver that took me and a few others to La Guardia looked like he just stepped out from the Sopranos!. So I get on to my flight from La Guardia which goes to Vancouver via Denver, Colorado, and after 20 minutes of flying I hear again a page over the intercom for a Doctor or Nurse on the plane!!! WHAT!! twice in the same day on 2 different planes!! whats going on!??!.. it turns out that some girl had an epileptic seizure of some sort...only problem is that the captain and the doctor on board had decided that it was in their best interest to land the plane!!.. so now we ended up landing in Indianapolis airport. Originally the captain said we'd only be there for a "few minutes" whilst they disembarked the passenger, etc, but that turned out to be like 1 1/2 hrs!! as they ended up having a great amount of paper work to get through. So we get back up in the air and arrive at Denver airport where about 90% of the passengers on the plane had either missed or had to be rebooked onto connecting flights. I was one of them, and my flight onwards to Vancouver was booked for me, however I had to run like crazy to the gate, which luckily for me was only 3 gates down from the one we landed at. I made it with 2 minutes to spare as they closed the door behind me. One thing went through my mind however, How were they going to get my BAGS onto this plane?!?!.. as we literally landed like 3 minutes before I thought "oh great" now I'm gonna have the problems of not having my bags with me and having to wait a day or so to get them in Vancouver!.. So thank God, nothing went wrong with the flight to Vancouver, even though it was quite empty.. which was good as there was not much line at immigration. I got my working visa fairly easily and low and behold as I stepped out from the immigration area to the luggage belt.. there were my BAGS!!! woohoo! And to top things off.. I found out that I could log on to an unsecured wireless network from my Aunt's place! so FREE wireless internet!!

Well I got in touch with a recruiter here and have organised a meeting with her next week to find out some job opportunities.. Fingers crossed I hope things all go well! just have to look at getting an apartment now!!.. Oh and the WEATHER SUCKS!! nothing but RAIN!!! ARGH!!!

until next time!!.. sorry I have no pictures with this update but I think I have more than enough to keep you guys entertained!

3 Comments:

  • At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glad to hear you made it.

    Hope you pick up something decent - job wise of course :)

     
  • At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Not good enough. Need photos!

    Hahha!

    J.

     
  • At 7:13 AM, Blogger Jason said…

    Thanks guys :) Photos coming SOON! :D

    I just need a break in the weather so I can get out and SNAP some! haha!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home